With support from the Development Fund of Norway, Centre for Environmental Policy and Advocacy (CEPA) with support from the Development Fund of Norway (DF) is implementing a project on National Policy Analysis and Advocacy for Sustainable Livelihoods Project under the Agricultural Biodiversity and Climate Change (ABC) programme for DF. The focus of the project is on higher level policy analysis and advocacy using evidence generated by field projects of DF partners and other like-minded civil society organisations
The outputs of the project are;
- Strengthened linkage of community practices on agricultural biodiversity and climate change adaptation to national policy frameworks
- PVP Bill incorporates Farmersâ€™ Rights and is anchored in the MoAFS
- Strengthened coordination for policy and practice influence of civil society organizations working in climate change; and
- Enhanced institutional capacity of CEPA to undertake policy analysis, advocacy and capacity building
- Through this project, CEPA is using a set of strategies to influence both policy and legislative outcomes for the betterment of the environment and livelihoods in Malawi and beyond. This entails
- Raising the level of knowledge about the value of agro-biodiversity and sustainable agricultural practices for sustained food production and climate change adaptation among the public and decision-makers.
- Convince government research, extension and educational institutions using documentation of field experiences to adopt methods and techniques that work for small scale farmers
- Convince decision makers and decision making institutions to change national policies to allow farmers to continue benefiting from these innovations and successful methods of work.
- Advocate for increased funding or increased share of government agricultural subsidy for supporting sustainable agriculture and sustainable agricultural biodiversity management among small scale farmers in order to responds to CC challenges